Thursday, August 09, 2007

One year on...

This time last year, I was fast asleep in bed with Nigel. We had been to our favourite restaurant, Casa do Rio, and eaten Cataplana. The views out across the estuary were breathtaking as usual. After walking back up the hill, we got the girls to bed and settled down ourselves.
The last time I spoke to Nigel was at 1.10am. For some reason we both woke up. I need the toilet, and Nigel had a sore throat, so got up and took some paracetamol. We went back to sleep.

Then it was 2.00am and Nigel fell out of bed. I can remember every moment clearly now, as if it was yesterday. I don't think I will ever forget the events of that night.

After the paramedics had gone, I remember sitting on the bed, with Nigel lying on the floor next to me, covered in a sheet. I thought of my friend Sarah, whose husband Peter is waiting for a heart transplant. Nigel wanted to be an organ donor, but the way in which he died meant that it wasn't possible.

But tonight, there is possibly a donor heart for Peter. Tonight of all nights. I knew it would be tonight. If it goes ahead, which I hope more than anything in the world, something good will be there for us on August 10th. Somewhere, a family is grieving the loss of their loved one, but they have given the gift of life, hopefully to Peter. Nigel is watching out for him too.

So please, join me in saying a prayer for Peter, Sarah, Nicole, Lauren and Serena tonight. Let Peter see his girls grow up, something Nigel will never do. He isn't here but I am doing everything I can to bring them up well.

Please, let Peter get that heart, and let it be tonight.

3 comments:

Clare said...

Anna, you, your beautiful girls and your friends are truly in my thoughts.
The pictures on your film are wonderful and I watched it with tears in my eyes.
I am sure Nigel is watching over you and is so proud of how you are bringing your daughters up.
I just wanted to send love and hugs to the three of you on this day. xxxxxx

StarGazer said...

Still holding you in my thoughts & prayers. xxx

Please update us on Peter, I have goosebumps just thinking that it could all happen for him today of all days - I have followed his story from the link on your blog.

Hullabaloo said...

Just wanted to let you know I have been thinking of you as this anniversary approached. I'm sure Nigel would be immensely pleased with all you have achieved in this year. Your girls are a credit to you and to him and you are doing a GREAT job!